Key Takeaways –
- To create cannabis tinctures, we extract liquid from dried cannabis flowers.
- To consume tinctures, place them under your tongue and let them soak into your bloodstream.
- Tinctures have a fast onset time, so typically, the effects are felt within 15-45 minutes.
- Tinctures have multiple medicinal uses, including pain relief, anxiety reduction, and relief from chemotherapy symptoms.
Cannabis tinctures have been a popular natural remedy for various health issues for centuries. With the legalization of cannabis in many parts of the world, tinctures have become a popular and effective way to consume the plant.
What exactly are cannabis tinctures, and how do they work to alleviate pain, anxiety, or induce relaxation in a fast and private manner?
This guide provides an in-depth look into the world of cannabis tinctures, including their potential benefits, various uses, and proper usage techniques.
Whether a seasoned cannabis user or new to the world of tinctures, this guide has everything one needs to know about cannabis tinctures.
What Are Cannabis Tinctures?
Cannabis tinctures are an incredibly CONCENTRATED liquid extract (which can make your eyes water just by smelling it) made by soaking cannabis plant materials, such as buds and leaves, in a solvent, typically grain alcohol, to extract the active compounds, such as cannabinoids and terpenes.
The resulting liquid is an extremely POTENT cannabis extract that can be consumed orally, sublingually (under the tongue) or added to food or drink. Tinctures are widely considered to be the most discreet and fast-acting option for cannabis consumption, allowing for PRECISE dosing.
They can also be made with various ratios of THC and CBD tincture, which makes them the most VERSITILE form of cannabis consumption for different medicinal and recreational purposes.
Pro Tip: You can add THC tincture to your food or drink as a way to consume cannabis. In addition to taking it sublingually, this is another effective method.
How To Use Cannabis Tinctures
When it comes to using cannabis tincture, there are a few key things to keep in mind to ensure the best possible experience (and avoid any unwanted surprises):
Starting with a LOW DOSAGE and gradually increasing it as needed is crucial for avoiding overconsumption. In fact, taking too much at once can be quite unpleasant (trust us, we’ve been there).
Therefore, the THC tincture dosage guide recommends starting with a common low dosage of 1-2 drops under the tongue, then waiting for 15-20 minutes to see how you feel BEFORE taking more.
Methods of Ingestion:
Most tinctures can be ingested sublingually (under the tongue), considered the most common and FASTEST method of absorption, or added to food and drinks.
While adding tinctures to food or drinks can be more CONVENIENT, it’s important to remember that the effects may take longer to kick in, and the dosage may be harder to control.
How Long It Takes To Feel The Effects:
The onset time for cannabis tinctures can vary depending on the METHOD of ingestion.
Sublingual consumption is considered the fastest, usually producing effects within 15-45 minutes (unlike smoking cannabis), while ingesting tinctures with food or drinks can take up to an hour or more.
How Long The Effects Last:
The duration of the effects of tinctures can also vary DEPENDING ON the individual, the dosage, and the method of ingestion.
Typically, the effects of sublingual consumption can last up to 4-6 hours (a good chunk of time), while ingesting tinctures with food or drinks can last longer, up to 8 hours or more.
It’s essential to start with a low dosage and MONITOR how long the effects last to determine the appropriate dosage and timing for your needs.
Different Types Of Cannabis Tinctures
There are several different types of cannabis tinctures available, each with its UNIQUE properties and benefits. Here are some of the most common types:
- THC Tinctures: These are made from cannabis strains that contain high levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). They provide a strong and pleasurable experience and are commonly used for recreational purposes. They may also have psychoactive effects.
- CBD Tinctures: These tinctures are made from strains that have a high level of cannabidiol (CBD), which is a non-psychoactive substance that is believed to have various medicinal benefits. It is said to be useful in treating pain and anxiety, so these CBD tinctures are usually intended for therapeutic purposes.
- Balanced THC/CBD Tinctures: These products have a balanced amount of THC and CBD extracts, providing medicinal and psychoactive effects. People use them for different reasons, including managing pain, reducing anxiety, and inducing relaxation.
- Full-Spectrum Tinctures: These refer to the complete set of compounds naturally found in the cannabis plant, such as cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids. It is believed that they offer a wider range of advantages compared to individual compounds.
- Isolate Tinctures: These products contain only one cannabinoid, like THC or CBD, extracted from the rest of the plant. They could be beneficial for people who wish to avoid the mind-altering effects of THC or those who are allergic to other compounds found in the plant.
Potential Benefits Of Cannabis Tinctures
There are many potential benefits associated with using cannabis tincture. Here are some of the most common:
- Pain Relief: Tinctures are thought to possess pain-relieving qualities that could aid individuals with conditions like arthritis, migraines, and neuropathic pain.
- Anxiety Reduction: Tinctures can be used by some individuals as a means of managing anxiety and stress.
- Improved Sleep: Tinctures could help improve the quality and duration of sleep by producing sedative effects.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Tinctures contain compounds with anti-inflammatory properties that can be beneficial for conditions like inflammatory bowel disease and multiple sclerosis.
- Nausea Relief: Cannabis tinctures may help relieve nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy, motion sickness, and other conditions.
- Muscle Relaxation: Cannabis tinctures may have muscle relaxant effects that could be useful for conditions such as muscle spasms and tension headaches.
- Seizure Reduction: Some people use cannabis tinctures to help manage seizures associated with conditions such as epilepsy.
Potential Side Effects
Although there are many potential benefits, there are also some potential side effects associated with using cannabis tinctures. These include:
Purchasing Cannabis Tinctures
When purchasing cannabis tinctures, the options available are extremely CONVINIENT (and maybe a little overwhelming). Dispensaries are the most common and accessible places to purchase tinctures in areas where cannabis is legal.
These stores offer an extensive RANGE of products, including tinctures with varying ratios of THC and CBD.
Dispensaries are staffed with knowledgeable PROFESSIONALS who can help guide you in choosing the right product for your needs, making the experience convenient and informative.
Alternatively, some brands offer cannabis tinctures for SALE ONLINE, providing convenience that can’t be beaten. However, it’s vital to research the brand and ensure that they are reputable and reliable before purchasing.
Online purchases may also have longer wait times for SHIPPING and may not offer the same level of customer service and guidance as dispensaries. Ultimately, where to purchase cannabis tinctures depends on personal preference and accessibility in your area.
Pro Tip: To maintain potency, it’s recommended to store cannabis tinctures in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight, as they are often packaged in glass bottles.
To sum up, cannabis tinctures can be a great option for both recreational and medicinal use. They allow for discreet and fast-acting consumption with precise dosing and can be customized with varying ratios of THC and CBD to meet specific needs.
It is important to consider tinctures’ possible advantages and drawbacks and exercise caution and responsibility when selecting and purchasing them.
With the growing legalization of cannabis worldwide, more people can confidently enjoy the benefits of cannabis tinctures by following these guidelines and conducting research. The popularity of tinctures is expected to increase in the future.